Tuesday, November 07, 2006

"Your girlfriends, they can't understand..."

It's the Sex and the City where they discuss how one "defines" one's "relationships". Blech. I used to think that the correlations between the show and my life were like, whoa, soo uncanny and strange! but this show is so base and so unoriginal that it applies to everyone all the time.

It's just that....I'm going to get grilled when I go home about my justification for my Boy Visit immediately following. (I wonder if I can just say "I have to retrieve my favorite underwear!" No?) I refuse to stammer "uhh....I don't know....we're like ... whatever...." and get the MomBitchFace. That's almost as scathing as the concerned "ohhh....huh" over the phone from well-meaning friends. That's why I don't say more than I need to, and why no one knew about my random expedition 2 weeks ago ;-)

It would not occur to me to me to wonder what's going on until I'm talking to someone about it. Girl friends give terrible advice. My mom is of course very smart but the disconnect is... insurmountable.

On Sex and the City, the debate is mostly, "he does that? that means he's your boyfriend. oh but that other thing... that means no." Seriously? WTF? Considering that these women are supposed to be so autonamous and self-actuallized, they are really bad at calling the shots or considering, even identifying, what they want. (must keep in mind these are cautionary tales, meant to be sympathetic, at best. Not role models)

The self-obsessed creature I am, I can't help but compare- instead I scrutinize my own behavior. Why did I do, say, think that thing? What does that say about me? Can we identify a pattern? (Bipolar much?) I wonder what I'm subconsciously thinking? I'm my own neurotic girlfriend! Rawk on!

Conclusions regarding myself relative to fictional SATC girls-
a) These women are tragic fucking losers and don't think about what they want, ever, and that is why they are always unhappy, whereas my life is awesome. (fuck yeah, bitches!)
b) Because they are like, 30+, they already know exactly what they want, and it never changes anymore (or...they no longer have a choice? clocks of every kind are ticking! hurry before you're too old to be relevant and HBO gets a better show for your time slot! Desperate Houswives is a lot less depressing than watchig Kim Catrell fuck a 20 year old)
c) Even Carrie is not as self absorbed as me. No one in the world is as self absorbed as me (ding!)
d) This show is fictional and, in fact, very badly written
e) All of the above.

New blog format- every entry must contain the phrase "I couldn't help but wonder...(lameassquestion)....?" Seriously, I'm borderline illiterate and I'm a better writer than the famous Ms Bradshaw.

ETA: following ep is the one where CarrieFace is like, "I was having sex trying to turn it into a relationship and Samantha wasn't having sex so that she would have a relationship. I couldn't help but wonder..."(told you it was coming!) "...which had a better chance of survival?"

Even when I saw the ep 4 years ago, I was confused about why it didn't work out with the Best-Sex-Ever guy, and I swear it's not cause I was/am naive. The rationalization was....wait for it...he was way too ADD. Wtf? Seriously they pulled that out of their ass and I'm expected to buy it? How did he focus long enough to give BitchFaceCarrie the best orgasm of her life? Plot hole! Cop-out! At this moment I'm watching Carrie get turned off by his manic behavior and I just think he's fun and hot, and the this-shit-is-falling-apart record-scratching soundtrack is not enough to convince me this is a real problem. Carrie, you're a bitch. Ew, and so is Charlotte. These poor men. I don't think any of them actually like sex. They all secretly hate guys, except Samantha, so why is she the one with the girl-on-girl plotline?

I love to hate this show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home