Monday, August 20, 2007

Anti-Feminist Agenda

Being home means lots of bonding with my mom. She and my dad have just separated, and that's pretty much all we talk about. Sometimes it's fascninating and sometimes I'm so bored I want to die. She is very much of a different generation, and it's not that she's more traditional, it's more that in her attempt to be progressive, she lost what I would consider common sense. Things that should be obvious are somehow groundbreaking.

She tells me, "You know, I read in one of my books" (these fucking books are everywhere, with the most embarassing titles splashed across the front) "...that it is important for men to have a wife that is attractive, and also that they want for other people to think she is attractive." Imagine that. "And also, it's not that they just want sex all the time, which, oh god they do, it's terrible..." (Really? Terrible?) "...but they really want to think that you like having sex with them!"

I try to be nice, this is so hard for her, but sometimes I can't help but stare in disbeleif when she says these things. I said, "Well, yes, I would imagine so. I....I mean, I wouldn't know"

She says, "I bet that for a man, if a woman really loved having sex with him, he'd marry her in an instant. She'd never have to worry about anything because he would never leave her if she really always wanted to have sex with him."

I didn't know what to say. I think I said something along the lines of, "Oh I'm sure that's an oversimplification, I don't know about that." How could she even say that? I guess it's a convenient theory for her. It would be much easier for her to blame her lack of interest in sex than something more fundementally wrong, something she cared about more. I think she considered sex with her husband a form of subjugation, maybe she felt very liberated by not having to have sex with him. I don't know. One time she told me only prostitutes performed oral sex. I thought sex with my husband would be the best part of marriage. I mean, partly for my own gratification (obviously) but also, I just like taking care of a boy, taking the time to give a well-deserved blow job seems like an extension of that, like cooking dinner and listening to his probelms and rubbing his back when he's tired. I know, I know, I'm not a very good feminist. Just don't tell my mom.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger anon said...

Its weird that there's a dichotomy: I love having sex, but I also see it as taking care of my man along the lines of back rubs, etc.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Sabina said...

Blow jobs make you powerful AND generous. What's not feminist about those things?

11:13 AM  
Blogger Hello Hedonism said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Hello Hedonism said...

Love your blog. Seriously, so awesome and honest.

Something I've noticed about the generation gap with regards to sex is the oral sex question. Did Bill Clinton introduce the idea that oral sex isn't real sex? Having grown up after the millennium, I've never thought of it as real sex, but my mom, and everyone else in her generation, seems to think of oral as on par with vaginal (or anal, I guess).

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home