Sunday, September 16, 2007

Bars

I work in a bar this semester. I'm not 21, not till friday (more on that later...) so I've never really been in a bar. I work in the kitchen so it's not like I actually interact with drunk people, I just make drunk food. I actually like it a lot. Working in the kitchen is really unlike every other part of my life. i'm dirty and smelly and I have no makeup on and I probably have some sort of sauce in my hair. I don't see a mirror for 6-8 hours. I know that's a lame thing to think about, but I see all these pretty girls prancing around in heels and skirts looking turned out for a night of bar hopping and I look like someone vommed on me. I'm a little bitter.

Friday the power went out, so the kitchen shut down but the bar kept going. I went out there to wait for the power to come back, and I have never been hit on so much in my life, by a wide range of men. I had more drinks sent to me than I could possibly drink. It didn't even seem like they were being ironic or taking pity on me. Guys were coming out of no where to talk to me! The pretty girls were actually getting mad that they were being ignored. I can't stress enough that I looked like shit. The lighting was bad, the power was out and we were lit by candles and flashlights and emergecy exit signs but you could still see the stains on my shirt and the sweat on my face, I still looked a damn mess.

I'm not super hot, really. A 6 or a 7. I don't stand out, I'm not the girl guys try to talk to at the party. (I usually try to tell myself that this is because, like many "curvy" girls, I look a lot better naked than in clothes.) But apparantly I was shit-hot when I was rocking greasy hair and a dirty wifebeater. What the hell man? I'm not complaining, I love free drinks from sexy boys telling me I'm beautiful.

But what was going on? Was it that I looked very approachable? Did I look more "real"? Did I just stand out in a room full of turned out sorority girls? Did all that french fry grease give me an alluring glow? Did I look like I needed someone to rescue me?

This weekend my best friend and I are going to New York for my 21st birthday. Gonna get dressed up and go to bars and clubs I can't really afford. I'd really like to just have fun talking to random guys in bars, but I think I might have less luck with that when I'm all sexed up and pretty in a bar in Manhattan than when I'm dirty and sweaty in a college bar here.


BTW: Any New York bar or club suggestions are appreciated, my friend and I are not very cool.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Slightly Nicely said...

Hey - I've been a reader for a while, but never really a commenter.

I'd venture to guess that the reason most of those guys were so attentive the other night is because approachability is always the biggest hurdle. Often times, I find that when a girl gets dressed up and is out with her friends, doing the bar scene, being all flirty and sexy, it's hard to gauge where the fun, flirty, out-with-her-friends demeanor ends, and the earnest, approachable girl begins. I'd be willing to bet that as good as you look (in general) and as great as you look when you pamper and head out, you were even more approachable without all the fancy upkeep, simply because your beauty was noticable and your appearance was more approachable (despite the grease, et al, haha).

Regarding your birthday weekend, the city is a great place to do it, blow a ton of cash, and have nights to remember.

As for recommendations...truth is any part of the city you go to, you'll be bound to find a ton of clubs and bars and guys willing to buy you drinks.

When I go out drinking, I always prefer either Midtown or the Village, simply because they're two of the nicest parts of the city at night, in my opinion.

If you're looking for a real nice city bar to get started on your drinking tour, there's a place called Dalton's on 9th between 43rd, and 44th that pretty cool - nice atmosphere, not too busy, and the drinks arent too expensive.

To really have a good time, I recommend that you head down to SOHO and the Village. You'll find a ton of good places with live music and dancing, lots to see and drink, and a TON of people to celebrate with.

Have fun!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Sabina said...

I'm not a guy, but I imagine they get pretty tired of girls looking like they spent hours primping and would rather hang out with someone who doesn't seem so high maintenance. But that's just a guess.
If you tell me what kind of place you're looking for in New York, I can probably give you some recommendations...

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was that you looked real and approachable, and you stood out among the high-maintenance sorority girls. So guys thought you might be an easier score; of course, since there were so many of them there, it probably backfired.

Do you go to school just outside NYC?

2:24 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

No, I go to school in Virginia, and I live in Delaware. I'm flying up Friday and meeting my friend there. We're staying in Midtown, starting at Rosa Mexicano, which is a chain and all but I really like it and I wanna drink margaritas, and then probably going to Soho/ the village friday night and midtown saturday night. I wanna go somewhere big and loud that won't have a huge cover charge and will let anyone in. Or whatever, we might just wander around and see what happens.

It's funny, I'd have thought I would look like "an easier score" when I was all slutted up. Interesting.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home