Sunday, March 09, 2008

Vacation

For spring break, S and I went to New Orleans for 4 days. I spent 3 nights with him in DC, 3 in New Orleans and another in DC before I left. For a relationship that's otherwise made up of scattered weekends and a steady flow of AIM and text messaging, a 24/7 of each other had the potential to be difficult. I fully expected at some point to have a full on yelling/crying fight.

But I was very excited, I researched hotels and restaurants and bars, I had visions of walking around the French Quarter, spending afternoons in little cafes and boutiques, drinking Sazeracs in very posh bars all evening, slipping into the white sheets of our king size hotel bed....

Like most over-anticipated events, the reality didn't really live up to that. Bourbon Street was filled with middle aged middle american tourists with fanny packs milling in and out of dark dingy bars with plastic cups of daquaris and glassy dead eyes. A chubby girl in a bra and thong stood outside a club with a sign for big ass beers . I felt like such a prude. Much of the rest of the area was made up of souvenir shops and more bars. As we walked all over I started to despair. What was I thinking, what were we going to do in a place like this? It's not a town that caters to the young urban professional, which he is and I tend to behave as. Walking all over wasn't even as much fun as I'd hoped, and there are suprisingly few cafes in the quarter. I think I might have confused New Orleans with Paris.

But we had a great time. A few great restaurants and a hotel room were really all we needed. I had anticipated having a hotel room with S with as much excitment as the trip itself- sex in a hotel room always sounded so glamorous. I'd brought all my favorite lingerie- black lacey thong and bra with thigh high stockings, bra and panty sets, my sheer pink baby doll... S has an exceptional appreciation for these things, so they didn't go to waste but most of the time I found myself naked or in sweats curled up with him, no make up and hair a mess. I'd thought that taking us to this vibrant, excitingly unfamilliar city would stir up that sexy, uninhibited feeling that inspires impulsiveness in people on vacation, but instead we seemed to just indulge in the familiarity of one another.

Although I was very glad I brought my super short blue plaid mini skirt, cropped white oxford, over the knee socks and 4 inch heels. I've been thinking about that for months, and finally had a chance to see if it looked as hot as I imagined. S said, "This? Is worth the trip." "You know, I have all this in my apartment..."

By the time we checked out we were more than ready to leave. Getting back seemed to take a lot longer, and curling up in S's bed had the same comfortable familliarity of my own bed.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger *** ******** said...

love your posts....as always.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I shouldn't be all that suprised that the historic significance of a city like New Orleans would be completely lost on an aspiring yuppie. I think you confused the French Quarter with the Garden District and New Orleans with a city that wasn't completely trashed by a hurricane a little over 2 years ago. Gotta love self centered rich kids.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Shashank said...

Wow, sounds like New Orleans isnt what its cracked up to be

10:53 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

oh anonymous, you're absolutely right, I was totally 'that guy'. We were the spoiled kids looking for the starbucks. Not literally, but you know what I mean.

I don't mean to criticize NOLA at all; the only reason I didnt get more out of it is because I was much more ready to retreat to the hotel room than walk a little farther. Mainly, I meant to point out how I thoroughly failed to get as much as I should have out of the trip, geographically

10:58 PM  
Blogger The Girl in the Mirror said...

gotta love those anonymous comment leavers... such sweethearts! :)

sounds like you got at least a lot of quality time with each other out of the trip, and unfamiliar territory is always nice.

3:10 AM  
Blogger badlittlegoodgirl said...

Sounds like fun... I'd almost expect some place like New Orleans to be a let down (unless you went for mardi gras), but nothing is better than hanging out in a new place with the boy, sleeping when you want, eating what you want, and just relaxing together.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys have what it takes for not just the weekend thing.

10:52 PM  
Blogger meagan_ellise said...

Next time you go to New Orleans, you should go to Frenchman Street. It has a lot of great music bars and live street music.

Make sure to visit Maspero's Cafe - Decatur Street, Cafe Du Monde.

Go down Royal and visit Mona Lisa's - great Italian place. Right next door to an African cuisine place.

Ride across the ferry to Algier's Point at sunset and see the greatest view in the city! You can also see Mardi Gras World in Algier's Point. When you get off the ferry, take a right and walk along the levee to get there.

If you do go to Algiers Point, eat at the Dry Dock Cafe. It's to your right after you get off the ferry.

2:28 PM  
Blogger anon said...

Not to defend anonymous, who is an anonymous douche, but its kindof like you went to Times Square in NYC and declared it all tacky and inauthentic. There are some great restaurants in the Quarter (K-Pauls, Emirils, Antoines), but even those are back in there or on side streets. Bourbon Street is truly wretched, but every tourist destination has a place like that. You truly did yourself a disservice not checking out Dick & Jennys, Commanders, those (rebuilt) restaurants in Metairie with 5 pounds of orgasmic crawfish, drinks on the porch of the Columns...

The last time M and I went, we ate ourselves into a stupor...we literally ate yogurt and a small meal every day for a week when we got back!

6:22 PM  
Blogger World of Warcraft Gold said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home